Partner at Heidrick & Struggles, member of the global CEO & Board of Directors Practice
FLC FUTURE OF LEADERSHIP CONFERENCE 2016
November 23rd and 24th, 2016
LEADERSHIP IN TIMES OF DIGITALIZATION
What does Meaning@Work signify?
How does the perception of meaning influence organizational performance?
How does the role of meaningful leadership change in the digital world?
Recent research shows that:
- 87% of the workforce don't perceive their work as meaningful.
- 58% of the workforce – especially young talents – prefer a more meaningful job to a higher salary.
- 54% of the workforce see digitalization as a key driver of Meaning@Work.
- Organizations in which employees perceive Meaning@Work are more profitable (+ 21%).
Meaning@Work is an essential root cause of innovation and corporate performance. Digitalization is a massive game-changer in this context, offering huge opportunities as well as pitfalls. Through interaction with an exclusive circle of senior executives and selected young talents, our FLC 2016 speakers will discuss questions such as how to synchronize organizational performance and Meaning@Work.
Where: Future of Leadership Conference 2016 at Tutzing Castle (Evangelische Akademie Tutzing) by Lake Starnberg
When: November 23rd and 24th, 2016
Find out more below.
Conference Trailer & Insights from our Project 2016
Future of Leadership Conference
The vision of MEANING@WORK will be presented to the public for the first time at the FUTURE OF LEADERSHIP CONFERENCE.
The Future of Leadership Conference (FLC) is an interactive English-speaking one-day Think Tank that includes powerful keynote addresses, engaging Leadership Labs and a creative Real-Life Business Simulation. Participants meet in the spirit of global citizenship to investigate and discuss fundamental topics of modern and inspiring leadership.
At the 2016 FLC, internationally renowned thought leaders, top executives and decision-makers and brilliant young minds will come together to interactively explore how the notion of “Meaning Making” impacts an organization’s success. This cross-generational and interdisciplinary group will investigate how the creation and perception of purpose in the digital age impacts future leadership across all industries, both in terms of skills and technology.
FLC 2016 SPEAKERS
We look forward to welcoming the following speakers on this year's Future of Leadership Conference.
General ret. Dr. Helge Hansen
Former supreme commander of Allied Forces Central Europe within NATO
World authority on corporate responsibility and UN Global Compact Partner
Prof. Dr. Martin Högl
Head of the Institute for Leadership & Organization, LMU Munich
Chief Human Resources Officer and member of the Executive Board at SAP SE
(all statements are subject to change)
How do I create meaning as a leader?
- 08:00Registration and Breakfast
- 09:00Welcome and Interactive Experience Journey
- 09:30What is Meaning@Work? And How Does it Drive Organizational Performance?Prof. Martin Hoegl (Head of ILO, LMU Munich)
- 09:50Meaningful Leadership in Digital Times – How Digitalization Changes the Role of ManagementStefan Ries (CHRO and member of the Executive Board at SAP SE)
- 10:10Money or Meaning – Antipode or Lever of Sustainable Profitability?Panel discussion between Stefan Ries (CHRO and member of the Executive Board at SAP SE), Prof. Martin Hoegl (Head of ILO, LMU Munich) and John Elkington (world authority on corporate responsibility)
- 11:00News from the Unicorns: Build Something Meaningful – The Rise of the Mission-Driven Digital BusinessDavid Rowan (Editor-in-chief of WIRED UK)
- 11:20Is Meaning@Work a Root Cause of Digital Innovation?Panel discussion between David Rowan (WIRED UK), Timm Richter (CPO at XING) and selected young talents from CDTM and ESMT
- 12:00Idea Hack: How Can Digitalization Contribute to Meaning@Work?Senior executives will join with young talents to find and develop ideas
- 14:10Live Business Simulation: What the Hell is Meaning@Work?
- 14:50Learning from Spiritual Wisdom: What You Have to Search for to Discover MeaningFather Dr. Notker Wolf (Abbot Primate of the Benedictine Confederation)
- 15:10Pursuit of Happiness@Work: Appropriate Leadership Goal or Wishful Thinking?Dr. N. S. Rajan (Group CHRO at Tata Sons)
- 15:30Are Meaning Makers the Better Leaders in Digital Times?Panel discussion between Dr. Christine Stimpel (Partner at Heidrick & Struggles), Gen. ret. Dr. Helge Hansen (former supreme commander of Allied Forces Central Europe within NATO) and Dr. N. S. Rajan (Group CHRO at Tata Sons)
- 16:20Meaning@Work: A Breakthrough in the Business MindsetJohn Elkington (world authority on corporate responsibility and UN Global Compact Partner)
- 16:40Leadership Labs: How to Motivate Meaning@Work?Four parallel labs in which senior executives discuss the topic with young talents
- 18:00Business to Society and Ownership Culture – Making Meaning@Work WorkJoe Kaeser (CEO of Siemens)
- 20:00Meaningful Leadership Without Any Means: How a Refugee Organization in Uganda is Transforming Its SocietyWith Benson Wereje (CEO of CIYOTA) and Bahati Kanyamanza (COO of CIYOTA)
The Future of Leadership Conference is an invitation-only event. If you are interested in joining the conference, please use the application form below to write us why you should be part of the FLC 2016. At the FLC 2016, we not only dedicate 1/3 of all tickets for free to hand-picked clever students from a broad variety of disciplines in their final year at university, we also reserve 15 free wild cards for exceptional and creative thinkers from the field of social and cultural work as well as arts and sports.
If you are a senior executive of your company or organization please click here to apply for a ticket.
If you are a student in your final semester, please click here to apply for a free ticket to the FLC 2016.
For further information or any questions please contact Anna Schmitt at email@example.com.
Following a new old tradition we will meet at the Evangelische Akademie Tutzing, a place of peace and strength next to the beautiful Lake Starnberg in the Bavarian Alps.
Participants get the chance to take a step back from day-to-day challenges, calm down and discover why and how to “Make Meaning” of their work.
Learn more about the Evangelische Akademie Tutzing:
FUTURE OF LEADERSHIP AWARD
The Future of Leadership Award was born from the conviction that breakthrough ideas driven by exceptional people sometimes really can change the world.
In an open and democratically run vote following extensive discussion of candidates, students identify each year the top 3 Thought Leaders whose ideas influenced the minds and actions of an entire generation. Like the previous years, the winner of the Future of Leadership Award will be honored at the Future of Leadership Conference gala evening.
Last year, Jimmy Wales, the founder of Wikipedia was awarded this prize.
Similar to previous years, a dedicated team of FLI associates spoke with prominent and diverse thought leaders and decision-makers from industry, politics and academia to discover more concretely: What key daily practices and situations create – and on the other hand destroy – meaning and motivation in today’s organizations, particularly in the digital age?
This year, we already had the pleasure of speaking to great minds like Siemens CEO Joe Kaeser, Peter Michael Senge from MIT Sloan School of Management, who is president of the Society for Organizational Learning, Martina Koederitz, CEO of IBM Germany, Prof. Götz Werner, founder and board member of the dm-drogerie markt, Yale Professor Amy Wrzesniewski, who is one of the leading global researches on meaning, TED senior fellow and columnist at New York Times, Professor Barry Schwartz, General ret. Dr. Helge Hansen, former commander-in-chief of the Allied Forces Central Europe of the NATO, Saskia Thais Bruysten, co-founder of Yunus Social Business and Benson Wereje, former child soldier in Kongo and today social business entrepreneur striving to transform the African Society.
Prof. Amy Wrzesniewski
Professor of Organizational Behavior at Yale School of Management
Prof. Barbara Kellerman
Professor of Public Leadership at Harvard University's John F. Kennedy School of Government
Father Dr. Notker Wolf
Abbot Primate of the Benedictine Confederation of the Order of Saint Benedict
Co-founder and CEO of CIYOTA; refugee from Democratic Republic of Congo
Prof. Peter Senge
Senior Lecturer of Behavioral and Policy Sciences at MIT Massachusetts Institute of Technology
The intellectual input of the thought leaders provided the fundament for the interactive workshop among selected business representatives and compiled graduates and alumnis. Facilitated by the MLI Leadership Institute, they developed a common understanding of and future scenario for MEANING@WORK – LEADERSHIP IN TIMES OF DIGITALIZATION. Same as every year, this workshop as central part of the research project unleashed the attending people’s knowledge-pool by an alternation of individual reflection, group breakouts, plenary discussion and voting, following a design-thinking structure.
The outcome of the Future Lab is a unique Vision of Meaning Making that features the most important levers through which leadership can influence MEANING@WORK. The findings of the participants will be documented as a remarkable learning map on Meaning Making that will be presented at the next Future of Leadership Conference in November 2016.
The FUTURE LAB on MEANING@WORK took place on January 23rd at the Ludwig-Maximilians-Universität in Munich.
The results of the FLI research project on MEANING@WORK will be presented to the public and discussed among young talent and senior representatives from the economic, public and political sector during the next Future of Leadership Conference on November 24th, 2016. This Think Tank is a unique blend of minds, representing a diversity of perspectives from all over the world, bringing the academic world and the experiences of practitioners together.